Friday, March 11, 2011

Japan's Earthquake and Tsunami - 3/11/2011

My thoughts and prayers go to those affected by Japan's earthquake and tsunami that occurred approx. 12 hours ago in the middle of the day local time in Japan. This is a reminder of how minuscule and weak we are compared to mother nature's forces. We can build skyscrapers, cities, bridges, malls, etc. and it can all be brought to nothing in a matter of seconds. I urge all of us to prepare an emergency kit and discuss with our families what to do in case of emergency. 


We are not invincible and our time is limited. I recently watched Steve Jobs' commencement speech from 2005 at Standford University and it reminded me so much of The Alchemist. It was such an inspiration and I love the message: to reach for the stars and don't let anybody's noise put you down and to pursue whatever your heart tells you because the only thing you will end up regretting at the end is not failure if you attempt it but regret for never letting loose and leaving your comfort zone. 


As Steve Jobs said at some point, we should stop living somebody else's life. It's time we define what our life should be like  and strive to reach our goals every single day. I have left my comfort zone since December 14, 2010 when I quit my job as an auditor at a Big Four and it has been the happiest I've been in a while. Don't get me wrong, I learned a lot through my 2.5 years at a Big Four but I knew after a year and a half of working as an auditor that it wasn't what I wanted for my life. A tragedy like the one that just occurred in Japan is an encouragement to live life to the fullest and don't be tied down by things that you don't aspire to.

No comments:

Post a Comment